This has to be possibly the ugliest cake I've ever made. But it's also one of the most amazing cakes I've ever made. And the easiest.
You know why? Because Matt Preston is a genius. No, seriously. He is a G.E.N.I.U.S.
Watching Masterchef Australia Season 6 has been a revelation for me. It's been a season of fabulous cooking and even better Masterclasses. And it was in one of these masterclasses that I saw this recipe and was completely enamoured by it.
After a lovely talk with patisserie chef Nitin Upadhyay, I was feeling inspired. Really inspired. And on my way home, I picked up a jar of Nutella.
Two ingredients and such a fab cake. I just had to try it at home. At first I thought I should do a little twist on it, then I realised that there's no point not trying the original before I go the whole hog. I mean just a bunch of eggs and a jar of Nutella, could that really make a whole cake?
Yes, it could. Almost souffle-like, this cake was light with a beautiful chocolate hazelnut flavours coming through brilliantly. It was like eating a chocolate cloud. So delicious. So light. Just note though, this cake needs a hand-mixer, it's nearly impossible beating the eggs by hand.
So without further ado, I present you Matt Preston's two ingredient Chocolate Hazelnut cake:
Flourless Nutella Cake
240 grams of Nutella or any chocolate hazelnut spread
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. In a large bowl break all four eggs and start whisking them with a hand-mixer. You want the eggs to become completely pale and frothy and quadruple in size which will take about 10 - 15 minutes of constant whisking. You can add the vanilla extract at this point.
2. Meanwhile in a large bowl measure out 240 grams of Nutella and gently microwave it so that it softens.
3. Now add 1/3 of the frothy eggs into the Nutella and stir until completely incorporated.
4. Fold in this mix into the rest of the eggs very carefully so that you don't completely loose out the air.
5. Pour it into a tin that has been lined with butter paper and pop into a oven that's been pre-heated to 200 degree centigrade for about 20 minutes
6. Remove and let it cool completely. If possible let it sit in the refrigerator for at least four hours before serving.