This month I was paired with Jay of the awesome blog Sizzling Veggies and truth is because of all the lovely vegetarians recipes she has on her blog, I was tempted to try something new. I should I tried out some of the fun vegetable recipes, but I settled to bake a cake.
You see I very rarely bake without eggs, and I thought this way I'd challenge myself and see where that takes me, so I tried one of my favourite cakes - the Pineapple Upside down to see if I could do it.
And this is what I got from it
|Upside down, not topside up © Cookaroo|
Pineapple Upside Down Marble Cake with Almonds. Adapted from Sizzling Veggies
1 small tin Pineapple slices
5-6 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar for caramelisation
2 cups Cake flour ( 2 cups of all purpose flour minus 3 tblsp plus 3 tablespoon corn flour)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking soda
3/4 cup Soda
½ tsp Vanilla Essence
100 gms butter (room temperature)
1 tin (400g) Sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup Pineapple juice
¼ cup chopped almonds
4 drops yellow food colouring
4 drops orange food colouring
1. Preheat the oven at 350F
2. Grease an 9” diameter round cake pan with butter. Arrange the pineapple slices at the base of the pan.
3. Heat sugar in a pan, becomes brown. Pour this hot caramel onto the pineapple slices and leave aside.
4. Beat butter and sweetened condensed milk well. Add vanilla or pineapple essence and mix well.
5. Sieve together all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda and keep aside.
6. Add a portion of flour mixture to the condensed milk mixture, beat well. Add a portion of aerated soda and pineapple juice to the condensed milk mixture and beat well. Repeat this process alternating flour and aerated soda until both the flour and soda are used, starting and ending with flour.
7. Add chopped almonds. Divide the batter into two. Add yellow colouring into one, and orange in another.
7. Put tablespoons of batter into the prepared cake pan and then with a knife create a marbelling effect. Bbake at 180 degree centigrade for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
8. Remove from oven, loosen sides of cake using a knife and immediately turn onto a plate.
|Cake! © Cookaroo|