|Breads and more © Cookaroo|
Fortunately tomorrow is a holiday, so I gots to be charged only that long.
I love love Banana bread. It is my comfort food. It is what I like to give to people as presents. It is what I want to make when I know my sister is coming over.
Lately, however, after analysing the consumption of all-purpose flour at home - we don't eat it as much as I give away - I thought the best thing to do was switch to whole wheat where ever I know I am going to it. So this whole wheat banana bread was born. I was tired of making my banana wholewheat muffins and wanted to make something that I could eat and share for a couple of days.
I've used lots and lots of raisins, because I love the squishy taste of raisins with the wholesome-ness of the banana.The oats have given a lovely texture, so please don't omit it. While my favourite banana bread, a Nigella Lawson recipe uses butter, I switched to oil - olive oil at that, because I have a lot of lying around. But please go ahead and make those changes if you. Also feel free to add nuts, I didn't have any walnuts so I had to omit my longing for some crunch.
The result was a very moist banana bread which kept well for 5 days and was shared with so many people that my heart swells with happiness. Do try.
Wholewheat Banana raisin bread with Muesli Streusel
Makes 3 medium sized loaves or 1big and small or one xl size
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup oil
2/3 cup raisins
2 tblsp rum/ water
For the Muesli topping
3/4 cup store bought muesli
1 tblsp honey
1. In a bowl measure the oats and milk and keep aside. In a separate bowl sift all the dry ingredients - flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda. Add sugar to it. Whisk it together
2. Zap the raisins with rum/ water in the microwave for 30 seconds. Leave aside
3. Mash the bananas and keep aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla extract, oil and butter together. Add the oats mixture along with the flour mix. Stir. Add the bananas and lightly fold.
5. Add raisins and fold. Fill in parchment paper-lined trays.
6. In a separate bowl add the muesli with honey. Sprinkle on top of the banana bread mix. Bake at 175 degree centigrade for 40 minutes.
7. Serve with butter
|Sliced not diced © Cookaroo|
Sending this to The Weekly Story # 95 at Patty's Colours Dekor