I love me a muffin. They are by far the easiest thing to bake. And well, the easiest thing to eat as well. Given a choice between a sweet muffin and a savoury one, I'd always always pick a savoury one, only because you can slather some cream cheese or butter and enjoy it as a snack any time of the day.
Which is perhaps why my blog has a number of savoury muffin options including the Triple Olive muffin, Spinach muffin and the very popular Pizza Muffin.
I make muffins on a whim, depending on what flour I have lying around and what cheese and vegetables need to be rescued. These feta and bell pepper muffins are something like that. I roasted the pepper, found some peppers and then also some ricotta and figured that the best way to make them was to blindly follow my gut. The result? Beautiful savoury muffins that tasted brilliant warm with a bit of goat's cheese.
Also this recipe is immensely forgiving, so don't worry about the boo-boos.
Feta and Bell pepper muffins
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp sugar
3 tablespoons oil
100 ml buttermilk
1 cup roasted bell pepper
100 gms feta
100 gms ricotta
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degree centigrade. Butter and line muffin tray.
2.Roast the peppers in the oven till nicely charred. Let it cool and chop into pieces.
2. Measure all the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, paprika and herbs- in a mixing bowl and stir to mix
3. In another bowl mix the egg, oil and milk/buttermilk together. Add the feta and ricotta to it.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix. DO NOT STIR. Add the roasted bell pepper Mix in quick circular motions just until all the ingredients are incorporated. Stop. Do not overmix. Otherwise you'll get super dense muffins.
5. Drop into line muffin tray, top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. And bake for 20 minutes until the tops have browned and a toothpick comes out clean.