Every Saturday, I can't wait to see the amazing produce that the Kuch Khaas Farmer's Market has. Even though I am hardly the first to arrive, I do a quick once over to know what I want so that I can pick it up on my way out.
This week, my bags were filled with some smoked Greek Yogurt, Olive oil steeped in Sundried orange, basil, mint, bok choy, radish and some dill. Just as I stepped into the compound, I saw that some of the oranges in the garden had started to ripen. I couldn't believe my luck. Because I had been dying to bake a cake and orange and olive oil has always been a favourite.
A trip to the regular market to stock up on my groceries made me stumble upon some candied orange peel. It was as if the universe was telling me something.
I also bought some lovely Ghiradelli chocolate at a BOGO deal and well, it was fate. I love love love the combination of orange and chocolate and the combination always makes me feel extremely sophisticated.
My love for all thing orange-chocolate began when I first bit into a slice of Jaffa Cake about 15 years ago. I couldn't get that oh-my-god, I'm an adult now reaction out of my head. The subtle tartness of the orange broke the sweetness of the chocolate, which made it just so phenomenal.
I think I ate about 100 of them that week.
This cake isn't quite a Jaffa Cake. It's a more mellow yet tender-crumbed orange cake with just a hint of chocolate to make you feel sophisticated. The almond meal in the cake adds to the texture, bringing together a beautiful mouth-feel.
I used Dorie Greenspans' French Yogurt Cake as my base, but then fiddled around with it to make it different. But feel free to fiddle around and omit ingredients that you don't have, I just had a lark making it
Greek Yogurt and Olive Oil Orange Cake with Dark Chocolate Marmalade Ganache
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder1/4 tsp salt1 cup sugarGrated zest of 1 orange 1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice3 large eggs1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp orange extract1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil1/3 cup candied orange peel
For the ganache
100 ml heavy cream
100 grams dark chocolate
3 heaped tsp orange marmalade
- 1. Preheat your oven to 180 degree centigrade and prepare your pan by lining an 8-inch cake tin with parchment paper
- 2. In a bowl sift together whole wheat flour and all purpose flour along with the baking powder and salt. Add the almond meal to it.
- 3. In another bowl, measure out the sugar, add the orange zest to it and use your hands to mix together to help release the oils.
- 4. Add the Greek yogurt, orange juice, vanilla extract and orange extract and eggs to it. Whisk well.
- 5. Add the dry ingredients whisking only until the ingredients have melded together. Add the oil and with a rubber spatula fold it in quickly. Add the candied orange peel to it.
- 6. Quickly turn it over into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- 7. Meanwhile make the ganache by pouring boiling cream over chopped chocolate. Add the marmalade to it and whisk till smooth. Set aside until you are ready to assemble.
- 8. Once the cake is baked and cooled, turn it over and peel off the parchment. Frost the top of the cake with the ganache and decorate with orange slices.
- 9. Keeps well for 5 days.