To be honest, that really isn't the complete name of this ice cream - it's cinnamon ice cream with bits of stewed apple - but the name was so long that I just decided to short cut it.
This is a very simple ice cream, however it requires time to for the cinnamon to steep and the apple to stew before you actually churn the ice cream. And so I'd suggest that you break it down to two parts or start in the morning so that you can at least get it churning by the evening.
I've used cinnamon in three steps and if you aren't a cinnamon fan, then recipe really isn't for you. For starters, it uses whole cinnamon bark, crushed cinnamon stick and cinnamon powder, and believe you me, it packs quite a punch.
Initially I wanted to make apple swirls, but the lazy person that I am, I really couldn't wait, so I just mashed the apple with a fork, so it wasn't really pulpy enough, but it had enough texture as bits of apple. I loved it. And if you don't want any bits of apple in your ice cream, you can totally omit this step.
I also omitted the eggs this time, only because I had none at hand, so this ice cream is slightly heavier on the cream. Nonetheless, it's very good too.
Eggless Cinnamon Ice Cream
With stewed apple bits
500 ml heavy cream
300 ml milk
2/3 cup sugar
2 whole cinnamon barks
3 cinnamon sticks beaten down in a mortar pestle
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp corn starch/ corn flour
For the stewed apple
3 whole apples
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. In a pan, heat the cream, milk and sugar along with all the cinnamon together. Bring to a boil and turn it off.
2. Let this mixture steep for 1 hour.
3. Once the mix has steeped, put it back on the stove and add corn flour/starch according to the instructions on the back of the pack.
4. Add vanilla and salt. as well.
5. Stir well, cool till the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. Strain this mixture and put it in a box to cool completly for 4 to 6 hours.
7. Meanwhile stew the apples by peeling and dicing the apples and adding sugar and cinnamon to it and let it cook down. Once the apples change colour, make sure you keep and eye on it so that it doesn't catch at the bottom of the pan. Mash till pulpy.
8. Once the ice cream mix has cooled, churn it according to your ice cream machine's instructions while adding the stewed apple to it.