My friends spoil me. Yes they do. Because they know how much I love food which translates to new ingredients and anything that I haven't tried before.
So from their travels I might get a bottle of fabulous fig mustard, or a jar of truffles or a tube of wasabi. From others I might get 10 boxes of fabulous cocoa because they are moving cities or then there are those who know that the best gift given to me ever, will be edible.
Like my husband for example - this birthday I got fabulous macarons from Paris and the most delicious selection of cheese. That's how I brought in my birthday - with so much cheese.
So when Deeba gave me a packet of cinnamon chips, that I had only casually mentioned to her (something that her husband could bring on his travels to the US), I was ecstatic. These little nuggets of goodness are unfortunately only available in the States and are one of the best things that have happened to mankind.
I couldn't wait to try my hands at baking with them, that is, if I could stop popping them into my mouth like happy pills.
I wanted to make something simple and easy. And that I would have enough chips leftover to make something else as well. (I am greedy that way you know)
I had everything to make a bunch of cookies. I decided I wanted dunkable cookies - something that could be dipped into a nice cold glass of milk. I figured that thicker cookies would keep it sturdier for a longer time, and so that's what I did.
I added a bit of cayenne pepper into the cookies so that they offset the spiciness from the cinnamon and I cannot tell you how delicious these cookies tasted with this little twist. Spicy sweet with a hint of saltiness and yes chocolate!
I suggest you bake these for barely 12 minutes, because then you get a cookie that is chewy on the inside and has loads of texture.
And if you don't have cinnamon chips - just double the chocolate chips and make yourself a divine chocolate chilli cookie!
Chocolate Chilli Cinnamon Chip Cookies
100 grams butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper/ (if you are using chilli powder use 1/2 tsp only)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup cinnamon chips
1. Soften your butter and in a bowl whisk in all the sugar.
2. Add the egg and vanilla extract to it and whisk well.
2. Meanwhile sift your whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, cayenne pepper and salt together. Keep aside
3. Add all the dry ingredients into the butter mix and mix well. Tip in all the chips and give it a good rest. Let this dough rest for 10 minutes before you proceed to the next step.
4. Use your hands to make even balls with the cookie dough. Arrange them into your cookie sheet. Using a fork, flatten your cookies as much as you'd like.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 180 degree centigrade.
6. Cool completely before eating.