Have you ever felt this overwhelming need to bake? Or just create something that gives you instant gratification?
I have. And very often because I'm running super short on time, I just want to bung everything into a bowl and just get it all done and over with from start to finish in under ten minutes.
The thing is, somedays I crave a good old fashioned cake so bad, that I have to do with watching an old Nigella Lawson episode or find one with Heston Blumenthal. Other days, I am content just stirring the pot and making something yummy to eat on the stove.
But there are some days where I just have to get something into that oven. With barely anytime to spare I am looking at doing something quickly. Super quickly.
This cake is something like that. It all starts with some buttermilk. And if you don't have buttermilk handy in the house, with some milk and vinegar. All you have to do is stir in all the liquids together and top with all the dry ingredients and give it a quick whisk. Pour into a tin, bake while you watch a rerun of a soap and by the time you know it, the cake will be done.
There's only one piece of advice that I will give about this cake. Use good quality oil. If possible use Olive Oil versus any other kind, but regular cooking oil will also work.
Oh and don't over mix - otherwise you'll end up with a very dense cake - just some light mixing will do. And then a bit of love to make it an amazingly moist easy to eat yet decadent cake.
One Pot Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Take a large bowl and add the milk and vinegar in it. Let it stand for five minutes while you collect the rest of the ingredients.
2. Add the egg into it along with the vanilla and oil.
3. Add hot water.
4. Throw in all the dry ingredients and whisk well once.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour into a prepared pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake at 180 degree in a pre-heated oven for 40 to 45 minutes,
7. Cool and frost as per your hearts desire