I got a goodie basket the other day. A beautiful basket with goodies that were too good to be true. There was some Coffee, some hazelnuts, walnuts, fragrant honey, cinnamon, jaggery granules (that are nearly impossible to find), hand ground whole wheat, fresh apples and a gigantic zucchini.
I suppose most people can't understand why I'd make such a fuss about a basket. But the truth is, this was all Organic. From this wonderful Delhi-based company called ISayOrganic.
Ok so I know a lot of people are slightly sceptical about going "organic", but the only reason I call it wonderful is because I know that they make a lot of effort to make sure that the products are a 100 percent organic.
How do I know? For starters, when I met the owner Ashmeet Kapoor a few years ago, he really knew his stuff. He talked about sustainable development, he talked about the farmers, he talked about making it produce accessible to people like you and me.
I loved that about him. Over the last two years, I've ordered/bought from these guys whenever I get a chance. Yes, they are slightly more expensive than your regular subziwala. Yes, everything is not available all the time. But, this is a good thing. You know then, that they stock only seasonal produce. And one bite into any fruit you buy, you know it's worth every single paise you spent.
So, yes, I was super excited about receiving this basket from the peeps of ISayOrganic.
I wanted to make something, that allowed the true tastes of the organic goodies to shine, this apple crumble does that. The only non-organic thing I used was some butter, but this was from my local dairy, so I think I was kind of okay.
Unlike other crumbles where you peel and dice the apple and then let it cook down, here you scoop out the apples and add from fruit it and cook it on the stove. Then you fill the apples with the cooked fruit and top with the crisp and bake till golden. Serving with Ice cream or cream is optional, because, mark my words, you can't stop at just one.
Baked Apple Cinnamon & Jaggery Crisp
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp butter
4 tblsp jaggery granules
For the crisp
1/4 cup jaggery granules
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1. Cut two apples in half. Remove the move and as much fruit as you'd like to make it a bowl. Rub the insides with lemon.Keep aside.
2. Peel and chop the other two apples. In a saucepan, add jaggery, butter and cinnamon and the chopped apple. The remaining fruit that had been scooped out can also be added to this. Cook until the mixture is soft. About 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile make the crumble/crisp. Add the jaggery and cinnamon and flour together. Mix in butter and with your hands try and mix it together so that it looks like coarse bread crumbs. Keep aside.
4. Once the filling is ready, fill into the apple bowls, top with the crisp mixture and bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden.
5. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Oh and don't forget to take part in the Tupperware Giveaway that on till April 19. Click here to participate.