I love love love walnuts. They are my most favourite nuts. I am not so hot on almonds, cashews or even hazelnuts as I am about walnuts.
There's something quite fabulous about this brain-shaped nut. I love the earthy flavours and almost oily texture of the nut. I also love that that you can get a good dose of Omega 3 which I think is an added benefit as is Vitamin B, so yay for glowing skin!
So when the good people of the California Walnut sent me a bagful of the most delicious walnuts (which by the way were sweet and crunchy all at the same time), my mind went on overdrive. I wanted to make a flourless cake at first, then a caramelised walnut tart. I thought about salads, I thought about making a pie crust and then I realised, it's the simplest thing that would make the walnuts shine through. And thus a fudge was born.
Chocolate, condensed milk, vanilla and walnuts. Four ingredients that make the most magical candy ever. And the way to make it? Oh-so-simple.
This is a recipe I remember making way back when I was 10. The only chopping that's involved is of the walnuts and then it's literally child's play.
Chocolate Walnut Fudge
300 grams dark chocolate
200 grams condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 tblsp butter, melted
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Grease a loaf tin and line with parchment paper. Keep aside
2. Melt the chocolate on a double boiler or in the microwave. Add the the condensed milk to it and mix well.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients to it and stir until they come together.
4. Pour into the the loaf tin and refrigerate for 4 hours of until set.
5. Remove from the parchment once set and chop into bite-sized pieces. Serve cold.